Members of the Wauwatosa Police Department's Community Support Division, with backup provided by the folks at WauwatosaNow.com, are now blogging. We will be providing you with an ongoing series of crime prevention tips, any current crime trends as well as pertinent news and notes as it relates to your Police Department.
Here · Leave exterior lighting on around your home during all hours of darkness.
· Open windows should be pinned so that they cannot be open more than 2” – 4”.
· Replace inferior door locks on all structures with dead bolts that have at least a 1” throw.
· All lock strike plates affixed to door frames should be mounted with at least 3” screws.
· Arrange for snow shoveling, grass cutting, mail and paper pickup should you be away.
· Lights on timers are a good idea for lighting your home when you return after work or while you may be away.
· Ensure that all landscaping is trimmed to height so that it does not provide a hiding place for would be thieves.
· Never leave your garage door or garden shed door open when you cannot monitor it.
· When new big ticket or highly desirable items are purchased, do not leave the empty boxes at the curb for trash pickup. Take them yourself to the City waste yard.
· If you have an active Block Watch, display your sign inside your residence.
· If you do not have a Block Watch, contact the Police Department to start one up.
· Suspicious activity should be reported to the Police Department immediately.
· Use the buddy system when walking, running or biking, the more the merrier.
· Carry a cell phone and/or whistle, keep it visible so that others can see you have them.
· Be alert to your surroundings at all times, make eye contact with others around you.
· Lock your bicycle whenever and where ever it is unattended.
· Never leave anything of value inside of your vehicle.