The Wauwatosa Police Department recognizes the societal abuse of prescription medications and the need for Wauwatosa residents to dispose of the medications in a safe and proper manner. The Wauwatosa Police Department also recognizes that improper disposal of medications is a threat to the environment. It is the goal of the Wauwatosa Police Department to provide a safe and secure manner of disposing medications.
The following guidelines must be met in order to accept medications. Please note that we only accept medications from residents of the City of Wauwatosa.
1. We will only accept medications that are turned in by a person with proper identification issued by the State of Wisconsin or Milwaukee County to verify their identity and residence. Citizens cannot bring prescriptions in for other people unless they are family members.
2. We will only accept unwanted medications during the following hours: Tuesday – Friday, 12:00pm to 5:30pm.
3. Only the property clerk or sworn law enforcement officer will be able to accept and inventory the medications.
4. We will accept prescription medication in the original container, loose medication, over the counter medications, ointments, sprays, inhalers, creams and pet medications.
5. We will not accept biohazard material, needles/sharps, personal care products (shampoo, soaps, lotions, etc.), household hazardous waste (paint, pesticides, oil, or gas).
6. If a person turns in illegal narcotics such as marijuana, this policy does not apply and a routine investigation should be conducted into the possession of an illegal narcotic.
If you have any further questions you can contact the Wauwatosa Police Department’s Community Support Division or Property Clerk at 414-471-8430.