A graduation party, a drunken ride and a police chase ended at a tree at 2:35 a.m. June 23.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A man was arrested for drunken driving and fleeing the police after he blew a stop sign going an estimated 60 to 70 mph at 68th and Wright streets.
An officer, who was waiting at the intersection, tried pulling the driver over but the man hit the gas, hitting speeds of up to 75 mph. The chase, however, was short-lived as the man failed taking a turn at Meinecke Avenue and 74th Street.
He jumped the curb, bounced off a tree, went through a driveway, caromed off another tree, veered to the other side of the road and took out a stop sign.
The man was arrested without incident and his girlfriend, who was in the car, said they were leaving a graduation party. She said she tried stopping him from running, but he didn't listen to her, saying that he had prior charges and wanted to run. He admitted to police that he wanted to run due to prior arrests. His blood-alcohol content was 0.16.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23