Man resists arrest for drunken driving, Wauwatosa police say

Aug. 6, 2013

A man argued with officers during every step of his arrest for drunken driving, first offense, after being pulled over for driving 80 MPH in a 40 MPH zone.

According to the Wauwatosa police report:

An officer followed the man as he was driving 80 MPH at Mayfair Road and Burleigh Street at 2:19 a.m. July 29. The man, driving a red pickup, didn't respond to the officer following him with his lights on. To get his attention, the officer turned his siren on and off. The man still didn't pull over until the officer had been following him for 0.7 miles.

The ordeal had just begun for the officer.

The man's window was slightly cracked open and the officer told him to roll it all the way down. The man told him that he wouldn't roll his window down and could hear the officer just fine. The officer kept telling him to roll the window down and the man kept arguing, eventually saying the officer was abusing his power by asking him to roll the window down.

The man finally rolled his window down and asked why the officer pulled him over. The officer told him that he had been doubling the speed limit. The man asked the officer if he had any evidence. Noting his dash camera had recorded all of the incident, the officer told him that was enough proof.

The man continued his obstinance, refusing to give his name, date of birth or address to the officer. The officer threatened to arrest the man for obstruction if he continued to be stubborn. The man continued to be stubborn and was told he was under arrest.

He told the officer he was recording the incident, to which the officer replied that his squad's dash cam was also recording. The man then went limp as two officers tried dragging him out of the truck. At the back of the truck, the officer told him he had one last chance to give up his name and date of birth. He refused and was handcuffed.

During the entire incident, the officer noted the man smelled like alcohol. He told the man he was going to do some field sobriety tests. The man told the officer he was taking him to court and that he pleaded the fifth. He was taken to the station.

On the ride to the station the man fell asleep in the back of the squad car. At the station, after being informed that he was under arrest for being intoxicated, he yelled "Under intoxicated? I'm not under intoxicated!"

He was driving on a suspended license and refused a breath test. Blood draw results are pending.


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries