Two Whitman Middle School students recorded what they considered to be a prank, but the video clip landed both in hot water at school and led police to a burglary arrest.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The student and his group of friends decided to "smack cam" a student at Whitman Middle School. They videotaped themselves hitting another student in the head with an apple.
When administrators found out the next day, Sept. 16, they summoned the two boys to the principal's office. One was absent from school that day; the other admitted to videotaping the incident.
On Sept. 18, officers received a call that someone matching the absent boy's description had been seen near a home in the 10100 block of West Sunset Avenue that had been burglarized Sept. 16 — the same day the boy was absent from school.
The boy was arrested and his backpack was searched; officers found an iPod matching one that had been taken from the home inside. The boy admitted he had burglarized the home.
He gave back everything he had taken.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23