Child welfare took custody of a girl, about 3 years old, after she was found wandering near traffic wearing only a diaper and a pajama shirt.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Commuters in the 6600 block of West North Avenue stopped their cars after noticing the toddler wandering close to traffic at 9:24 a.m. Oct. 29
A naked woman ran out of an apartment building and grabbed the toddler.
A man who witnesses described as "clearly intoxicated" followed the naked woman, carrying a liter of vodka. The man and woman ran to the back of the apartment building. On the way there, the man tossed the bottle along the fence line.
Officers who went into the apartment described it as cluttered, with dishes and garbage piling up and an empty pint of vodka found near the kitchen faucet.
The woman was on parole and her blood-alcohol content was 0.21.
The Milwaukee County Bureau of Child Welfare took custody of the child, and said they had responded to three complaints involving the child since 2012, all of which had been listed as unfounded.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23