A man walking his dog at 7 a.m. Nov. 24 noticed something odd at the intersection of Church Street and Menomonee River Parkway.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
He saw a man, slumped over the wheel of a car facing the wrong direction in the turn lane. The car had three flat tires, was leaking oil and was running. The man knocked on the window, noticing the driver was unresponsive.
More people came around and finally got the driver out of the vehicle. When police showed up, the man started walking away. Bystanders told officers, "There he goes," and the officers had to chase him down. One of the witnesses told police they thought the driver was "three sheets to the wind."
When officers grabbed the driver, he nearly fell over. He initially told police that he wasn't driving and the vehicle wasn't his. He then changed his story to say the vehicle belonged to a friend who was driving.
After questioning, he admitted to driving. He said he was out drinking with a friend until 2:30 a.m. The friend gave him a ride home and that was the last memory he had.
He was arrested for drunken driving, fourth offense.
He refused a breath test and blood draw results are pending.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23