Locally-owned Anodyne Coffee Roasting Co. has plans to open a cafe along Harwood Avenue in the Village of Wauwatosa.
The cafe would move into a vacant spot next to Niemann's Candies and Ice Cream at 7471 Harwood Ave. According to a letter sent to city staff by owners and couple Matthew McClutchy and Lacee Perry, the location next to Niemann's is strategic.
"We respect the tremendous near 100-year-history of Niemann's Candies and Ice Cream," the letter said. "Anodyne will complement what they do and add to that tradition by creating a similar, long term business serving its neighbors and visitors to the Village of Tosa."
The coffee shop would offer brewed coffee, espresso, tea and other drink options. Food selections would include bagels, soup, quiche and yogurt. A diverse craft beer and wine (by the bottle or glass) are also included on the proposed menu.
The business, which also sells wholesale coffee, already operates retail cafes in Bay View, Walker's Point and inside the Milwaukee Public Market.
"We believe our years of experience combined with our growing brand awareness will assist us in building another successful and respected cafe on Harwood Avenue that will complement and enhance the unique cultural and business diversity that exists in the Tosa Village," the letter said.
McClutchy said he was born and raised in Wauwatosa and is a 1986 graduate of Wauwatosa East High School. He said he's always had the intention of "coming home" with Anodyne Café.
The business would offer outdoor patios in the front and back of the cafe and proposed hours of operation would not exceed the time frame between 6 a.m. and midnight, seven days per week. At least five new permanent full-time positions and eight part-time positions would be created for the new business.
Wauwatosa's plan commission will review the item Aug. 8.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23