A seat belt thwarted an attempted carjacking at 112th Street and Blue Mound Road on Friday morning.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The female driver was approaching a flashing yellow light when she saw a man step off the curb across the street just before 6 a.m. She stopped the car to let him cross safely, but she became nervous when he started walking to her door.
She tried to roll up the car window, but wasn't quick enough. He punched her in the cheek and demanded she get out of the car. He opened the door and pulled on her arm, but the seat belt prevented him from pulling her out of the vehicle.
A truck driver saw what was happening and approached the car carrying a baseball bat. The carjacker turned and ran off.
The woman drove to her workplace on Mayfair Road, where co-workers saw her swollen cheek and urged her to call police.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23