A 38-year-old man was arrested for drunken driving after his car spun 180 degrees on the Harmonee Bridge during Tosafest on Friday night.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Another driver saw a beer can thrown from the car before it lost control on the bridge. The car then made its way to Robertson's Hardware, 1417 Underwood Ave., where it parked briefly at 6:58 p.m. People walking to the festival noticed the vehicle was covered in mud with branches stuck under it.
Witnesses said the driver seemed confused because roads were closed off because of the festival in the Village. He struck a car while trying to leave the lot. Eventually, he made his way to 67th and State streets, where an officer spotted his vehicle driving through a red light.
The driver refused to submit to a Breathalyzer test, but told officers that he had purchased beer at a liquor store and drove around the County Grounds for a while.
At the police station, he was told to remove his hat. He had a cut above his eye that was bleeding, so the Fire Department responded.
As he was being checked out, he clutched his chest and made noises like he was in pain, then he fell to the floor and said he needed help. He refused to be taken to a hospital and his vital signs were normal. When officers said they would keep him in a cell for 12 hours to keep an eye on his health, he quickly recovered.
He blamed his quick illness on "explosive" personality disorder.
A quick background check showed the man was on probation, so his parole officer was contacted.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23