In the last month an 85-year-old Wauwatosa woman has received numerous calls and letters from people trying to bilk her out of money, but she outsmarted them all.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
In August, the woman was sent a check for $1,962 and told it was a prize. She suspected it wasn't real, and her bank confirmed that.
Three weeks ago, she got a call from someone claiming to represent Publisher's Clearinghouse who said she had won $260,000. Because the money was supposedly coming from Canada, she needed to wire $1,900 to convert the funds to U.S. currency. The caller even told her where she should go in Wauwatosa to wire the money, and said a women with a package would be waiting for her when she finished. The woman checked her facts by calling the real Publisher's Clearinghouse and found out it was a scam.
Soon afterward, she received a letter from a company in Quebec that said she was a beneficiary of an $80,000 unclaimed settlement - all she had to do was call a number and provide information.
But on Sept. 30, she decided she had had enough. She got a call from a different supposed insurance company upping the stakes. The caller said she would get $300,000 cash and $190,000 by check as a settlement. She should wait for further communication. A man called a while later and said she should send $500 to insure the package. She told the man she didn't drive, so he suggested she call a cab and he would reimburse her.
When he called back to check her progress on getting him the money, he reached a police officer. The man was undeterred. He said the officer didn't scare him, and he hung up.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23