A 24-hour gym wants to open in a portion of the former Furniture Clearance Center at 89th Street and North Avenue.
Wauwatosa resident John Mathie wants to open what would be his fourth Anytime Fitness location in his hometown. He plans to take up a portion of the building that was vacated when Furniture Clearance Center went out of business this spring.
The business would be staffed from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. most days, but would remain open around the clock to members using keys. A few neighbors had contacted city officials with concerns about late-night operations, Community Development Director Nancy Welch said.
However, approving 24-hour per day operations for Snap Fitness at 72nd and North Avenue back in March did set a precedent.
The Plan Commission voted, 5-1, to allow the gym to remain open at all times. The Community Development Committee will take up the request Oct. 26.
The mayor did recommend Mathie work with police to ensure proper safety and security at the facility.
Mathie owns a regional franchise with fitness centers already operating on Milwaukee's east side, Germantown and Shorewood.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23