A 16-year-old Milwaukee boy was so bent on taking an iPod from the Apple Store at Mayfair on Saturday that it took three off-duty law enforcement officers to stop him.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
Lt. William Brown of the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office was standing in line at the store so he could have his phone fixed about 3:30 p.m. When he saw the boy remove a security device from an MP3 player, he introduced himself as an off-duty officer and advised him not to take the item.
The boy refused to listen and pocketed the iPod, then he tried to leave the store. Brown attempted to restrain the boy and ended up getting punched in the face. An off-duty officer from the New Berlin Police Department, who was working as store security, and an off-duty Milwaukee police lieutenant came to Brown's assistance.
Brown refused medical treatment, but later sent Wauwatosa police pictures of his facial injuries.
The boy, who had his 7-year-old nephew with him, had a record of prior incidents of shoplifting and resisting arrest. This time, he was arrested for retail theft and battery and his case was sent to the district attorney's office for review.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23