Fire official: Snow-blocked furnace vents could be deadly

Feb. 2, 2011

Homeowners who have energy-efficient furnaces need to make sure the PVC pipe that vents out the side of the house remains clear of snow, Interim Fire Chief Michael Anton cautions.

Don't pile or blow snow on the pipe because it could cause a deadly buildup of carbon monoxide into the home, he said.

All homes should have a working carbon monoxide detector as well as smoke detectors, he further advised.


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries