A frozen yogurt shop and resale home décor boutique got unanimous welcomes to Wauwatosa from the city Plan Commission on Monday.
The businesses, proposed for vacant storefronts in the Village, still need the blessing of the Community Development Committee and Common Council before they can move in and open shop. The CDC is set to meet Feb. 22, and the Common Council on March 1.
Scott and Becky Berger want to open Yo Mama! Frozen yogurt shop, which operates like a sundae bar but with healthier options. People would pick their flavors and toppings and pay by the pound.
They hope to occupy a portion of the former Drew's Variety Store building, 7503 Harwood Ave. Space inside would accommodate 24 to 30 people and there are plans to provide outdoor seating.
The new owners of the former Drew's building, Sustainable Properties, already have received permission to encroach onto the right of way on the Wauwatosa Avenue side of the building, Community Development Director Nancy Welch said. The owners would need to return to the Board of Public Works to put outdoor seating along the Harwood Avenue side.
Alderman Dennis McBride called the business concept a good one but said he wants city officials to keep in mind that, while it might be a remote possibility, there has been talk of reopening Harwood Avenue or changing traffic flow on the street. He asked that nothing be done with the right of way that would make that impossible.
As for the home décor boutique, friends Kimberly Jenkins of Brookfield and Penny Stark of Wauwatosa have proposed setting up "an occasional store" that would be open for business for one long weekend per month and by appointment. Called Twirly Birds, they're looking to occupy the space formerly filled by Authentic Journeys. The rest of their time would be spent shopping estate sales and antique shops and creating pieces for the next sale.
The duo spent the past weekend stocking up on vintage and antique items found at occasional stores in Minnesota.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23