After months of speculation, Eaton Corp. has officially announced it will build a new facility for its electrical and technical division in the Milwaukee County Research Park in Wauwatosa.
Mayor Jill Didier issued a news release today to welcome the company to the city.
City staff members have been working with Irgens Development Partners and Research Park representatives to "ensure that Wauwatosa became Eaton's new home," Didier said. "Eaton could have made the decision to move its operations to another state, but instead it made the commitment to remain in Wisconsin."
There has been talk of the city providing financial assistance in the form of tax credits to make the project happen, but those details have not yet been finalized, she said.
The region will retain 145 existing positions and there is potential for future growth, Eaton executives have said. In addition, a location in the Milwaukee County Research Park puts the company close to other technically savvy businesses, which can foster growth and new ideas.
The company will leave Milwaukee's northside, a move not supported by Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett.
The new building's owners wants to achieve LEED silver certification, an environmental standard in the construction industry, by using the company's energy-saving products. Construction is expected to begin this summer and provide 350 construction jobs.
"It has been a pleasure working with Eaton officials as they determined what location would best meet their long-term needs," Didier said.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23