Teens beat, rob man in Wauwatosa because he criticized their behavior

April 27, 2011

A 52-year-old man was beaten by five females - who then stole his cell phone and car - in the parking lot of Bluemound Gardens restaurant Saturday evening.

According to the Wauwatosa police report:

The man had just finished dining with his 84-year-old mother and 14-year-old son and they were walking through the lot, 11703 W. Bluemound Road, when they heard a group of girls making a scene at 7:07 p.m. As he pulled out of the parking space, one of the girls asked him what he was staring at. He told them they should shut up and stop swearing.

The 17-year-old Milwaukee girl didn't take the comment well. She swore and spit on his car.

At this point, the driver got out of his car and demanded she clean up the spit. Instead, she started swinging at him. To keep her from hitting him, he grabbed the girl's arm by her sweater.

Then he felt a hard punch to the back of his head that knocked off his glasses. An 18-year-old Milwaukee woman started hitting him and two more 17-year-old girls - who fled before officers arrived - joined in the assault. They took his cell phone so he wouldn't be able to call police.

The victim tried to get to the vehicle to check on his son, but he was put in a chokehold and the punches continued. His son had heard someone trying to get into the car, so the boy ran inside the restaurant to get help while the engine continued to run. When he returned outside, a 16-year-old Milwaukee girl asked him what was going on. He explained that his father was getting beat up, so she responded "then we'll be taking your car."

A restaurant customer ran out to help the father. As squad cars arrived, the 16-year-old punched and kicked both men. She was immediately arrested for battery, robbery and vehicle theft.

The 17-year-old girl was arrested for robbery and vehicle theft after she parked the stolen Honda Civic behind an apartment building at 112th Street and Blue Mound Road and started walking back to the restaurant. She said she felt bad for taking off without her friends when she started the fight.

The 18-year-old was arrested for battery. Officers continue to look for the two 17-year-olds who fled.

Police were familiar with the females because they had had two run-ins with them in the previous two hours. They had been kicked out of their hotel room at Days Inn about 4:20 p.m. Then they went to Open Pantry where they loitered and asked patrons for money. Later, they had headed to the restaurant, which was attached to the hotel. They got disorderly after they tried to re-enter their room and found the lock had been changed.

The man estimated that he had taken two to three dozen punches. His mouth was bleeding and he had swelling and bruising.


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries