If there's one word that Felipe Chavez uses often, in different variations, it's "big." As owner of Brookfield Family Restaurant, located in the Harvard Square strip mall on Bluemound Road, Chavez is primarily referring to the number of items on the menu.
"We offer a little bit of everything," he explained. "Greek food, Mexican, American … My menu is huge."
There's the big selling point of the Brookfield Family Restaurant - a little bit of everything with something for everyone. Chavez opened the restaurant in early 2010 in a space that formerly housed one of the beloved Heinemann's restaurants. Although Brookfield Family Restaurant isn't trying to be Heinemann's, it clearly appeals to a similar clientele.
"I've been in the restaurant business for 25 years," Chavez said. "I had a restaurant in Iowa for 20 years and then moved to this area to be near family. I liked the location because there didn't seem to be many family restaurants in the area. Everything is cooked fresh, from scratch. The amount of work it takes to run this restaurant is humongous, but I love it."
Open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the Brookfield Family Restaurant menu offers many traditional "family restaurant foods" but also features Greek and Mexican favorites for those that enjoy something a little different.
According to Chavez, breakfast is, hands-down, the most popular meal at the restaurant, which he attributes to the large variety. Some breakfast favorites include a breakfast sundae ($6.99), eggs Benedict ($6.99) and baked oatmeal ($5.29).
If you go for lunch, Brookfield Family Restaurant offers virtually every type of sandwich, whether it's a gyro ($7.59), a panini ($7.29 to $7.99), a wrap ($7.59 to $8.59) or a triple-decker club ($8.29 to $8.59.) But if you're watching your waistline or just want something healthy, there are several salad options such as the low-calorie chicken breast salad with lots of fresh veggies ($8.29.)
During dinner, the variety continues, and Chavez points out that the Friday fish fry ($9.99) is an overwhelming favorite. In addition to regular menu items, there are specials that change daily.
And although the menu at the Brookfield Family Restaurant is huge, Chavez wants his customers to know this: "Anything that you request - we can make just about anything. Whatever a customer likes to eat, we can fix it. Once you see my menu, you'll say wow!"
NAME: Brookfield Family Restaurant
ADDRESS: 18000 W. Bluemound Road, Suite A
PHONE: (262) 792-1180
FARE: American, Greek, Mexican
HOURS: 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily
PRICE RANGE: $4 to $14 (approximate)
HANDICAPPED ACCESS: yes
- Red Dot aims to duplicate East Side success in Wauwatosa
- There's No Place Like Hom Woodfired Grill
- Mo's Irish Pub: A lively Irish American neighborhood eatery
- Sluggo's Sports Pub & Grill: Back in business on Burleigh
- Tall Guy and a Grill: Taking backyard BBQ to new heights
- Cocina DeLeon: Old-world gourmet Mexican you make at home
- Burke's Irish Castle carries on a local legacy
- Albanese's Roadhouse serves up generations of Italian blessings
- BelAir Cantina: A breezy, Cali-Mex casual eatery
- Sherbrooke offers a bit of Canada in Tosa, eh
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- Highlands Café: Tosa natives expand restaurant
- Café Hollander: Upscale and Belgian-themed
- Jose's Blue Sombrero: Tableside fun with a Mexican flair
- Balistreri's secret is in the staff and the recipes
- Slim McGinn's West a touch of Irish hospitality in Brookfield