A man dressed like a law-enforcement agent was arrested for violating bail after he was seen carrying weapons at McDonald's in East Tosa last week.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
A 22-year-old Milwaukee man was seen walking with a group of people on North Avenue and openly carrying a handgun on his waist at 1:36 p.m. Aug. 16. When officers arrived, the man had entered McDonald's, 6631 W. North Ave.
Officers noted he was dressed like "some sort of law enforcement agent" with mirrored sunglasses; black, military-uniform-style pants; distinctive vest meant to look bullet-proof; and a holster on a duty belt like those worn by police.
A handgun was sticking out of the holster, but when an officer tried to remove the magazine, he found certain controls weren't located where they should be. The man told an officer it was a BB gun. He also had canisters of tear gas and pepper spray, two sets of handcuffs, a small walkie-talkie and a gold badge with the word "security" on it.
The man called himself an "unofficial security officer" who gets paid cash for protecting gas stations and other businesses. The gun and spray are meant to intimidate people, he told police.
Officers determined he not only lacked a guard license but he had two warrants for bail-jumping following a felony in Dane County. He's prohibited from possessing dangerous weapons as a condition of the bail. Tosa police arrested him on another count of bail-jumping.
The district attorney has decided to hold off on any further charges until September to give Dane County prosecutors an opportunity to act on the bail-jumping charges in their jurisdiction.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23