A little less than a year ago, I interviewed Jake Replogle about his Haute Taco restaurant in the Sendik's Towne Centre off Capitol Drive in Brookfield. Fast forward to 2012 and I was talking to him about the same location, but a different restaurant. Jake's Burgers opened a couple of weeks ago. Although the restaurant has a similar casual/hip/contemporary feel, the menu is completely different.
First and foremost, Jake's Burgers is all about, well, burgers. Starting with the beef itself which is a custom grind of brisket, short ribs and sirloin that Replogle says just tastes better: "It's a combination that we found was very popular at Jake's Charred Lounge," he explains. "It gives you a full flavored piece of meat that's not dry or greasy and it's ground fresh daily."
According to Jake's Burgers' manager, Duffy Strobos, the change in concept was a reflection of changing tastes: "The specialty burger market is really growing," he says. "We offer approachable food, but we wanted to put our own twist on things."
Although they've only been open a short time, there are already some customer favorites such as Jake's Burger (available in the Charred Lounge inside the original Jake's.) It's a burger with cheddar cheese, oven-roasted tomato, butter lettuce, special sauce and haystack onion rings ($9.95). Also popular are the Wisconsin Burger with beer cheddar cheese sauce, haystack onion strings & bacon ($10.95) or, for something non-beef, the Crispy Beer-Battered Cod Sandwich ($8.95).
The portions are not gargantuan and for vegetarians or those with smaller appetites, there are plenty of salad options as well as turkey burgers or veggie burgers upon request. The wine, beer and drink menu is extensive enough to please anyone. The kids menu has a pretty typical selection sure to please the little ones.
"We're going for that warm and welcoming atmosphere," explain both Strobos and Replogle. "We're not trying to be a fine dining establishment. We want to provide excellent friendly service at a reasonable price point."
Jake's Burgers is currently only open for dinner but Replogle hopes to be open for lunch within the next month or so.
Name: Jake's Burgers
Address: 18905 W. Capitol Drive
Website: www.jakesburgers.com (under construction, but you can "like" them on Facebook.)
Fare: American, Burgers
Hours: 4:30 - 9:00pm Tuesday - Thursday
4:30 - 9:30 Friday - Saturday (Bar open till 1:00, Tuesday - Saturday)
Closed Sunday and Monday
Price Range: $6.95-$10.95(Approximate)
Handicap Access: Yes
Gluten-Free Options: Yes
LOOKING TO 'GRAB A BITE'?
"Grab a Bite" is an informal look at the food scene in the Wauwatosa, Brookfield and Elm Grove area by freelance writer Karen Waldkirch. Whether you're looking for a place for a date night or a casual spot for lunch, Waldkirch will be out and about scouting eateries for you. If you have a suggestion for a column, e-mail her at email@example.com.
- Red Dot aims to duplicate East Side success in Wauwatosa
- There's No Place Like Hom Woodfired Grill
- Mo's Irish Pub: A lively Irish American neighborhood eatery
- Sluggo's Sports Pub & Grill: Back in business on Burleigh
- Tall Guy and a Grill: Taking backyard BBQ to new heights
- Cocina DeLeon: Old-world gourmet Mexican you make at home
- Burke's Irish Castle carries on a local legacy
- Albanese's Roadhouse serves up generations of Italian blessings
- BelAir Cantina: A breezy, Cali-Mex casual eatery
- Sherbrooke offers a bit of Canada in Tosa, eh
- Colonel Hart's: A true neighborhood hangout
- Ted's: It's Cheers without the beers
- Penelope's: A labor of love in heart of Elm Grove
- Drink in a bit of island life at Jimmy's Island Grill
- North Avenue Grill Same name, new owner
- Highlands Café: Tosa natives expand restaurant
- Café Hollander: Upscale and Belgian-themed
- Jose's Blue Sombrero: Tableside fun with a Mexican flair
- Balistreri's secret is in the staff and the recipes
- Slim McGinn's West a touch of Irish hospitality in Brookfield