Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Is there a limit to how many rummage sales one residence can hold?
Issue: A reader wrote, "Throughout the year, a Tosa resident in our area has at least three to four rummage sales a week. It not only looks tacky, but it creates traffic hazards when cars suddenly break short to turn on our street. At what point do rummage sales require a business permit? Can this 'business' be halted?"
Status: Three city officials confirm that no ordinance specifically regulates rummage, garage or yard sales. City Clerk Carla Ledesma, Principal Planner Tamara Szudy and Alderman Peter Donegan said regulation would be difficult to enforce unless there is an issue of noise or other disturbance. In that case, police should be called.
"I'm sure it could be a quality-of-life matter if it is a nuisance," Ledesma said. "It's something they may want to talk to their alderman about. We really haven't seen complaints about this."
Donegan, chairman of the city's Licensing Committee, said it is unlikely the Common Council would formally address the issue.
"As a citizen and as a neighbor, I would take issue with it (multiple sales at one location)," Donegan said. "I think people should use common sense."
Szudy said one course of action would be to report an unauthorized business to the city's property maintenance inspector by calling (414) 479-8907.
Get in touch
Want us to track down a rumor? Fix a problem? Send an email to email@example.com or visit WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?