Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the latest on traffic signals along North Avenue?
Issue: Two North Avenue intersections are on the mind of a reader who asked how long it would take for the new traffic signals to be in effect at 116th Street and why the signals at 104th Street aren't in flash mode overnight when traffic is very light.
Status:The 116th street signals recently were fully installed. The intersection also includes improved pedestrian signals and the addition of a left-turn lane from northbound 116th Street to eastbound North Avenue.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation officials said the work is related to the upcoming Zoo Interchange project because it anticipates the result of more traffic on and around North Avenue.
As for 104th Street, Wauwatosa Department of Public Works Director Bill Porter, checking with Traffic and Electrical Superintendent Randy Michelz, said equipment age is the major factor in not having overnight flashing lights at the intersection.
"We don't have any immediate plans regarding changing that equipment," Porter said. He noted that the current signals for vehicle and pedestrian traffic work well at the intersection, which serves a busy Mayfair Mall for most of each day.
In a memo to Porter responding to this question, Michelz noted: "This (North Avenue at 104th Street) is another very old intersection that will need to be upgraded in the near future."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?