Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is the sign in the median at 124th and Burleigh?
Issue: A reader asked us several questions about an unusual sign posted in the 124th Street median just south of the Burleigh Street intersection. "It says 128, it is tilted up toward the sky and it has been there for decades," he wrote. "What is the purpose of the sign, who placed it and what info are we to learn from it?"
Status: Mike Norris, right-of-way specialist for West Shore Pipeline Company, answered all those questions. The oil firm manages the underground petroleum line that was first built in 1961.
Norris said the two-way sign seen from north and south designates a mile marker. Both sides of the sign are tilted upward so the company can make its weekly aerial check to comply with federal standards.
"We fly over every week in order to make sure no one has tampered with the line either accidently or intentionally," Morris said.
West Shore Pipeline transports petroleum from its facility in Lemont, Ill., — a south suburb of Chicago — to as far as Green Bay and Madison. Locally, the company transports to a distribution center on Milwaukee's northwest side. The operation and ownership was combined with the former Badger pipeline system in 1998.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?