Former Wauwatosa priest James Dokos pleaded not guilty this morning to a charge of felony theft. He is accused of embezzling more than $110,000 from Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church.
Dokos, 62, is now a Chicago resident. If found guilty, he could see up to 10 years in prison and $25,000 in fines.
The criminal complaint in the case says Dokos inappropriately spent money from a church trust fund he was given control over between August 2008 and October 2012, using funds to pay his credit card bill and writing several checks from the fund to himself and family members.
According to the complaint, Dokos had been made trustee of the account in 2008 after the deaths of both funders of the trust, Ervin and Margaret Franczak. Margaret had named him as a successor.
Dokos is due back in court Dec. 16.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23