Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the city failing to maintain Pocket Park?
Issue: A reader who is a 15-year city resident asked us why the park, tucked just below St. Bernard Catholic Church at the northeast corner of Harwood and Wauwatosa avenues, has been neglected.
"We can't understand why the city would allow Pocket Park to deteriorate to this extent," they wrote. "Why is nobody else complaining?"
Status: According to those in the know, others have complained. Some improvements have been made to plantings and the seating/wall structures dotting the area, but more work, they said, needs to be done.
"The fact is that money is tight," said Parks and Forestry Superintendent Ken Walbrant. He said the small park has received some help in occasional work on plantings as well as last year's wall and seating improvements sponsored by the Eagle Scouts.
The Wauwatosa Beautification Committee, an independent group that tends to some of the city's planting needs, no longer cares for Pocket Park, said Mary Johnson, the group's vice president. She said the group's shrinking membership is a primary reason.
Hope for Pocket Park improvement may come from a plan that calls for a 2016 target to streetscape nearby State Street. Village Business Improvement District director Jim Plaisted said his hope is that Pocket Park and Root Common across the street could be part of the overall plan or at least be targeted for improvement around that same time.
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?