Only one 8th District aldermanic seat will be filled this month, Mayor Jill Dider said.
On Monday, an aldermanic selection committee appointed by the mayor will interview seven candidates to fill the seat left vacant when Tom Treis died in December. The second alderman for the district, Craig Maher, resigned this week and said he hoped two appointments to the council would be made from Monday night's interviews.
That will not be the case, Didier said. Instead, the city will follow the established procedure of advertising for applicants, creating a separate selection committee and conducting separate interviews.
"Those not selected for former Alderman Treis' seat are welcome to resubmit their information for the next selection committee," she said in an e-mail.
Because Maher had been appointed to the aldermanic selection committee for Treis, Dider has named Jill Organ - the last person appointed to the council - to serve on the panel.
Didier also has named the council members who will make up the selection committee to determine former Alderman Atis Purins' replacement: Aldermen James Krol, Linda Nikcevich, Michael Walsh, Brian Ewerdt and Donald Birschel.
The selection process is expected to begin after Treis' replacement is chosen by the council March 17.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23