Opening day keeps Tosa police busy; 8 OWI arrests

April 13, 2009

Wauwatosa police arrested eight drunken drivers Friday, most of whom were on their way home from opening day festivities at Miller Park.

Among those stopped was a 59-year-old West Bend man who was arrested for his sixth drunken-driving offense. He was seen crossing the divider line into oncoming traffic in the 7400 block of Wisconsin Avenue at 7:20 p.m. His vehicle struck a curb as he was pulling over.

He is being held at the Milwaukee County Criminal Justice Facility. He refused to submit to Breathalyzer tests, so the department is waiting results of a blood test submitted to a state crime lab before he can be brought up on charges.

Also nabbed was a 28-year-old man from St. Charles, Ill., who was arrested for his second drunken-driving offense after he drove through a flashing red light at 68th and State streets at 12:42 a.m. He got out of his vehicle and approached the squad car. The officer yelled numerous times for him to return to his car. But the man was confused and when he returned to his vehicle, he put his hands on the hood and spread his legs like he was waiting to be searched.

When he did get back in the vehicle, the female passenger got out and tried to approach the squad. After she was told to return to the car, she got out again and walked toward the squad one more time.

The man said he was trying to be nice by driving the Wauwatosa woman home and that he would have problems with field sobriety tests because of a bad ankle. His blood-alcohol level was 0.16.

But not of the problems occurred after the Brewers' home opener. At 3:30 a.m. Sunday, police were called to the Super 8 motel, 115 N. Mayfair Road, for a 30-year-old Rhinelander man who passed out in the lobby after partying too hard following the Brewers' second home game on Saturday night.

The man, who was wearing a team jersey, had come down to the lobby to wait for a pizza delivery at 2:30 a.m., and he was eating the pie when the desk clerk went to get coffee. When she returned, he was passed out and she could not wake him. She brought out the vacuum cleaner and ran it near him for about 10 minutes, but he still didn't flinch.

When officers arrived they sat him up, so he would wake. He quickly got loud and violent and resisted arrest, so officers used pepper spray on him.

When the got to the police station for booking, he did not recall his earlier actions and apologized.


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries