The Wauwatosa Budget and Finance Committee on Tuesday recommended rescinding more than $157,000 in property taxes due to errors in the assessment process for four properties: Bluemound Preschool, 822 N. 68th St., was assessed twice; Trinity Episcopal Church, 177 Church St., was supposed to be a tax-exempt property; officials from Froedtert Hospital, 9200 W. Wisconsin Ave., incorrectly reported the taxable space; and Sears/Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, 601 W. State St., failed to report the change of ownership to a tax-exempt organization.
Since errors were reported after receiving tax bills, the city can request the Wisconsin Department of Revenue charge back the non-city portion to other taxing entities. The city portion of the tax loss would be $48,787, which would be covered from budget surplus funds.
The Common Council is expected to take action on the issue Tuesday, May 5.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23