The Wauwatosa Common Council is poised to vote tonight on a selection committee's recommendation of Cheryl Berdan to fill a vacant 7th District aldermanic seat. But a competitor for the appointment had written a letter urging city officials to support the runner-up candidate.
Peter Hart, a 7th District resident who came in third as the committee narrowed down the field, is asking council members to vote for Robert Sigrist, who came in second to Berdan.
He wrote about concerns that relevant professional and practical experiences were not given proper consideration. Sigrist most recently worked as manager of New Berlin's Inspections Services Department, and Berdan is employee as a Milwaukee County Courthouse receptionist.
During the interview process, committee members said they put emphasis on volunteerism and community involvement. Berdan has been in charge of the city's Fourth of July parade for the past five years, whereas Sigrist has served on the city's Design Review Board in the past.
"I respect Ms. Berdan's community involvement, however, after further review I believe Mr. Sigrist would bring a more balanced set of skills to the council," Hart wrote.
In an e-mail to a NOW reporter, Hart also questioned whether friendship was reason for Berdan's support. He suggested increasing the committee from five to seven members for future interviews would "help dilute this bias."
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23