A woman who jumped in the Milwaukee River earlier this month to evade police after she shoplifted at T.J. Maxx was arrested again for retail theft this week – this time for taking gin from Buy Rite Liquor in Wauwatosa.
According to a Wauwatosa Police Department report:
The 37-year-old homeless woman entered the store, 6002 W. North Ave., about 8:30 p.m. May 11. She was wearing a hood over her head and carrying a tote bag. She waited until the sales clerk was distracted by a customer, and she put three bottles of gin in her bag and hurriedly left the store.
Officers found her in the area. When she saw the squad car, she tried to run, but the bottles were clanking and weighing her down.
A check of her criminal history showed 14 prior arrests, including an open case with Milwaukee Police Department, so she was arrested for bail jumping. She said she was suicidal and shoplifted to keep busy so she would not harm herself. After she had jumped in the river a few nights earlier, she had been taken to Aurora Sinai Medical Center for a mental evaluation.
Her case was referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23