Developer Richard Conley is planning to purchase the building that formerly housed Drew's Variety & Craft.
Conley, owner of Brookfield-based Metropolitan Development, has an accepted offer to purchase the site, 7505 Harwood Ave. It offers 9,000 square feet of retail space with five one-bedroom apartments above.
Now he's checking out the structural integrity and utilities and trying to determine how he will use the building.
"I'm mapping out scenarios," he said. "We'd been looking into it and we're not quite sure what to do with it."
Retail, office and residential are all possibilities, all of which would require significant interior and exterior renovations, Conley said.
Much will hinge on whether Harwood Avenue was opened to two-way traffic, an issue Village Business Improvement District representatives have been discussing with city officials. He said it would increase vehicle traffic and reduce foot traffic to businesses on Harwood.
"I clearly wouldn't want to buy the building if this progresses," Conley said.
Conley is no stranger to Wauwatosa development. He owns several buildings, including Lefeber Point, where Noodles & Co. is located, within the Village.
He said frequent drives past to the Drew's building led him to pursue ownership.
"I know what it could be, I saw what its potential is," he said.
The building has been vacant since January 2008.
He did not have an expected date to finalize the sale.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23