When people are arrested for theft at Mayfair Mall, officers often hear suspects complain of being out of work or having an addiction to drugs as reasons for their crimes.
But a doctor who makes more than $150,000 per year and his wife had a different excuse: they did it for the thrill of the sport.
According to Wauwatosa police:
The Milwaukee couple had arrived at the mall on Saturday evening planning to shop for Christmas gifts. Instead, the 30-year-old wife suggested they take what they wanted. Because Macy's was so busy with shoppers, she didn't think they would be noticed.
They took turns serving as a lookout while the other took items - more than $1,500 worth - from just about every department in the store. They stuffed items in shopping bags from other stores, purses and the stroller that was carrying their two young children. The 39-year-old husband likened the experience to "a game" in which they saw what they could get away with.
After they were arrested, the husband told officers he was a doctor who earns more than $150,000 per year and had more than enough money to pay for the items.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23