Wauwatosa will have at least one contested race in the spring election as two candidates are running for the 2nd District seat on the Common Council.
Margaret Michele Arney, a co-founder of the Wauwatosa Village Neighborhood Association, and Kathleen Causier, Wauwatosa Historical Society Board president, have filed campaign registration statements indicating their intention to run.
In addition, 1st District Alderman Peter Donegan will seek re-election.
One of the two seats from each of the city's eight aldermanic districts will be up for election. In addition, two other council seats that were filled by appointments due to mid-term resignations also will appear on the ballot.
So far, incumbents Jill Organ, 4th District, and Don Birschel and Cheryl Berdan, both representing the 7th District, have filed campaign paperwork. Newcomers Sandra Callaghan, 3rd District, and Bobby Pantuso, 5th District, also hope to be elected to city government.
An alderman gets paid $350 per month and is eligible to participate in the Wisconsin Retirement System.
Any resident interested in running for alderman can pick up a candidate packet from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at the clerk's office at City Hall, 7725 W. North Ave. Forms also are available for download at elections.state.wi.us. A campaign registration statement must be filed before a candidate can circulate nomination papers, receive contributions or spend money on a campaign.
Nomination papers and a declaration of candidacy form are due to the city clerk's office by 5 p.m. Jan. 5.
If more than two candidates file papers for any seat, a primary will be held Feb. 16. The general election is April 6.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23