Two cashiers at Target in Wauwatosa have been arrested for theft by fraud for loading gift cards they did not pay for, and then using them to purchase merchandise.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
A 17-year-old boy piqued the security staff's attention when they started noticing numerous money shortages and large value purchases at his register. The unusual transactions started Dec. 10 and continued through Dec. 23, when he was arrested.
He was found to have put $1,900 on gift cards without paying for them. Of that, he spent $1,186. Items taken from the store, including digital media players, headphones and other electronic devices, were found in his pockets and locker.
Some of the items he bought with the gift cards were given to his coworker, a 24-year-old woman. When she asked him where he got the money for all the merchandise, he filled her in on his scam and she started serving as an accomplice.
Between Dec. 17 and 20, she loaded $1,026 on gift cards she did not pay for, and used them to obtain $455 in merchandise. She was arrested Saturday.
Both employees have been referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23