Health Department offering radon detection kits for $5, while supplies last

Feb. 26, 2010

Cancer-causing, radioactive gas is not something anyone wants to be exposed to, yet radon, the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S., can be found in some homes, according to information provided by the Wauwatosa Health Department.

Radon can’t be seen, smelled or tasted, so a detection kit is necessary to determine if your home is safe. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends all homes be tested for radon.

The Health Department offers these kits to city residents for $5 — but quantities are limited, so act fast. Kits are available at most hardware stores, too, but they may cost more. Consumers are urged to read the label carefully to determine if the kit they are buying is the right one for them, and whether the cost of results processing is included.

If you find radon in your home, there are simple fixes that aren’t too costly, the Health Department said.

For information or to obtain a kit, call the Health Department at (414) 479-8939.



Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries