Firefighter/paramedic Robert Reid will receive the Distinguished Service Award from Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6498 in Wauwatosa.
Reid will be presented the award Tuesday at Fire Station 3, 10525 W. Watertown Plank Road, and he will be one of the people considered for the national award.
He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force Reserves in 1988. After training, Reid was assigned to the 34th Mobile Aerial Port Squadron with the 440th Airlift Wing at Gen. Mitchell International Airport. He worked his way up from airman basic to his current master sergeant rank.
Over the years, he has contributed in peacetime and war efforts, specifically moving equipment in support of Desert Shield operations, humanitarian missions to South America and deployment to the Allied Forces Air Base in Kyrgyzstan.
He has received many awards and honors including the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal. He is now assigned to the 76th Aerial Port Squadron with the 910th Airlift Wing in Youngstown, Ohio. He plans to retire from the service after 22 years on March 30.
Reid has worked for the Wauwatosa Fire Department since 2002.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23