Things are going swimmingly for the Friends of Hoyt Park and Pool as the Common Council on Tuesday approved the group's request to operate a pool, bathhouse and concession at the park.
The vote of support was nearly unanimous. Alderman Dennis McBride had to refrain from voting because he sits on the Friends' board.
The group has raised $7.7 million in funds from private donors and Milwaukee County to build a community pool with features like eight lap lanes, a zero-depth entry and a water slide. A community campaign is expected to get under way soon to raise another $500,000 for amenities like diving boards and tot water play equipment.
Construction could begin this spring and the Friends are hoping for a Memorial Day 2011 opening.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23