Milwaukee-area Target stores are hearing numerous complaints from people who say they bought video games only to find the product missing from the boxes. Now it is believed the claims are fraudulent.
According to Wauwatosa police:
Last week, the local department was notified that security staff had been investigating a theft ring in which Asian men are purchasing video games from Target stores, then returning empty boxes and claiming there was never a game inside. But really they are buying the games, opening the package and removing the games, then resealing the package and trying to make returns.
The first incidents occurred in January. A man who bought a game at the Brown Deer store returned it at the Wauwatosa location. In February, two more incidents occurred at the local store.
The West Milwaukee Police Department, which handled complaints from Target in its jurisdiction, is heading up the Milwaukee-area investigation from this point on.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23