Attorneys in Wauwatosa's legal department are recommend repealing the city's smoke-free restaurant ordinance to make way for a statewide ban that will prohibit smoking in just about all indoor public places starting July 5.
Although the city is required to follow the state's stricter ban, adopting it as the local ordinance will allow Wauwatosa to enforce the law in municipal court, which means fines from violators would become city revenue.
The existing ordinance, enacted in 2006, prohibits smoking in city restaurants. But exemptions are allowed for eatery/bar combinations that made at least half their gross sales from alcohol or already had smoking areas sealed by walls or doors.
The Community Development Committee on Tuesday unanimously supported doing away with the existing ordinance, but there were a couple of dissenters - Aldermen Robert Dennik and Thomas Herzog - on adopting the state ban.
"I already have a mother, I don't need another one," Alderman Robert Dennik said, referring to a disagreement with government dictating where people can smoke when private businesses are involved.
At this point, the validity of the law isn't up for debate, Assistant City Attorney Eileen Miller Carter said.
"This will be the law in the city and every other municipality (in Wisconsin)," she said.
The final decision is up to the full Common Council next Tuesday. However, if they choose not to repeal and replace the existing ordinance, violations would be prosecuted in circuit court and the city would lose out on dollars, Miller Carter said.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23