A woman wanted for violating probation pretended to be her sister and when the officer wasn't buying her story, she led him on two high-speed pursuits through Wauwatosa last week.
Now a felony warrant for her arrest has been issued by a Milwaukee County judge for eluding and fleeing an officer.
According to Wauwatosa police:
An officer noticed a driver's license plate matched that of a 38-year-old Milwaukee woman wanted for violating her probation issued after she was convicted of burglary and forgery. He pulled over her vehicle at 5:11 a.m. Wednesday
Nicole Bether pretended to be her sister, but she had a difficult time providing the correct phone number and address and explaining why she was out so early in the morning. When the officer suggested she was lying, Bether put her car into gear and sped off, driving through red lights and reaching speeds of 85 mph before the officer lost sight of her vehicle at Glenview Avenue.
While checking out the Village, the officer saw Bether's car driving without its headlights on. When she saw the squad car, she accelerated and maneuvered around the police vehicle setting off another chase that covered 1.5 miles and reached 90 mph before she was able to elude the officer a second time.
This was not the first time Bether eluded police. On April 21, she ran a red light and was pulled over in Shorewood. She gave a false name and then took off when the officer allowed her to use a restroom.
Talking to her sister, officers learned Bether had recently been released from a drug treatment facility and was supposed to be in outpatient care for cocaine addiction. Instead, she was a no-show at treatment and for appointments with her probation agent.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23