Wauwatosa's All-City Read has seen solid turnout at its events for adults and children, and offers several more events to help local readers explore the themes of "Rocket Boys," a novel by Homer Hickham.
Children's activities revolve around the book "Hollow Earth," written by Tosan Carol Barrowman.
· Book vs. Movie: Watch "October Sky," a movie based on the book "Rocket Boys," at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Rosebud. Stay for a talk back session comparing the two. Milwaukee School of Engineering English and film professor Katherine Wikoff will lead the discussion. Admission costs $5. Refreshments will be available for purchase
· "First and Farthest": Learn about the space race during this show at the planetarium at Wauwatosa West High School. Show times are 7 p.m. Friday and 1 and 2:15 p.m. Saturday. Tickets cost $2 at the door.
· Video chat with Homer Hickam: The "Rocket Boys" author will speak and take audience questions via video chat broadcast on the big screen in the Wauwatosa West High School auditorium at 7 p.m. Monday. A $5 donation to Hickam's favorite charity, Forgotten Felines, is suggested.
· Battle of the Bartenders: Twelve Tosa bars and restaurants have bartenders competing to create the best rocket-inspired cocktail. Visit TosasAllCityRead.com to find a list of participating establishments, then visit them to try their creations. Voting will be allowed online. From 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 27, the bartenders will compete head-to-head, mixing their drinks for judges and the crowd at Cafe Hollander. They will be judged on performance, appearance, taste and adherence to the theme.
The All-City Read is an effort organized by the Wauwatosa Neighborhood Association Council, with the intent of bringing community members together to get to know each other and have some fun, said Maureen Badding, chairwoman of the All-City Read committee.
"Everyone has been amazed at the variety of activities," she said. "It's gotten them talking to neighbors."
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23