Flashing yellow arrows confuse readers
Issue: Some readers have been confused by the new stoplights in the area featuring a flashing yellow arrow and asked me to explain what the flashing arrow means.
Status: Joanna Bush, state traffic signal systems engineer for Wisconsin Department of Transportation explained that as usual a red arrow means stop and a green arrow means the driver has the right of way to make a turn. A steady yellow arrow indicates drivers must prepare to stop and a flashing yellow arrow means a driver may make a left-hand turn but must yield to pedestrians and oncoming traffic, she explained.
Installation of flashing yellow arrows began throughout the state in 2010, Bush said. Studies have shown that these arrows are safer. Drivers who are uncertain whether they have the right of way to make a turn at intersections that only have a green ball are more likely to go ahead and make that turn than drivers at an intersection displaying a flashing yellow arrow, Bush explained.
These yellow arrows will mainly be installed in intersections that are undergoing construction, Bush said. But, she said, they will also be added in locations where drivers are confused about when they have the right of way.
For a more in-depth explanation of the flashing yellow arrow, visit http://dot.state.wi.us/travel/flashing-yellow.htm.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?