Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the community that needs to get fixed? Mary Malahy explains some of the mysteries of life in the Tosa area.
Grassy area in Village isn't too impressive
Issue: A few readers have written to me about the open area in the Village between Harwood and Wauwatosa avenues, noting that the grass is brown there and that the area could use some improvement.
Status: Kathy Ehley, executive director for the Village Business Improvement District, explained that maintaining this area is difficult because there is no water source nearby.
Further, the dirt is only 1½ inches deep. Debris from road construction in the 1970s lies underneath, she said.
These conditions make it difficult for grass or other plants to grow there. Ehley said she spent an entire summer trying to get the grass there to grow - watering it three times a day - but was unsuccessful. She has planted flowers, but they get pulled out, she added. This past summer the BID installed benches and waste receptacles there, and people seem to be enjoying them, Ehley said.
"We want it to be a useful green space, but it really needs to be embraced by the community," Ehley said.
Residents who are interested in helping can join the Wauwatosa Beautification Committee, a volunteer organization that works to improve Wauwatosa's appearance. Visit wbc-wi.org for information.
The city's master plan does not have a definite goal for this area. More discussion needs to happen due to the complexity of the area, Ehley said.
"There rarely is a simple solution if you really look at the ramifications from any changes," Ehley said.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?