Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why is the daycare center at 73rd and Center streets closed?
Issue: A nearby resident asked, "What's happening with the vacant daycare center on 73rd and Center? It seems like (it's been vacant) over a year."
Status: The building at 7327 W. Center St. will remain vacant for the time being. The building, which looks like a single-family home, has a history of commercial use. Development Director Paulette Enders and Building Inspector Fred Knapp said the building meets city zoning and code requirements. Principal Planner Tammy Szudy said daycare licensure is the issue.
Valerie A. Richard, who has owned the building since 2007 under the business name VAR Center LLC, confirmed the problem. Two daycare operators, one Children's Play and Learning Center and the other Gramma Josie's Development Center, occupied the building in recent years.
"Before I owned it, the building was a medical outpatient center for a number of years," Richard said.
Without licensure, Richard said, the operators could not make rental payments.
A Wisconsin Department of Children and Families clerk said details about licensure history were lost when the state installed a new information system.
Alderman Bobby Pantuso said the vacancy is one reason to complete a Center Street business development plan.
"With North Avenue work planned, we are going to see increased traffic on Center Street," he said. "We need to look at what we want to see develop there."
Submit your question by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?