Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why did someone tear down a house near Wauwatosa East High School?
Issue: A Twitter user wrote to us wondering why someone "tore down that sweet, old farmhouse on Milwaukee Avenue" near Wauwatosa East High School.
Status: The 1,400-square-foot home that stood just east of the Wauwatosa Woman's Club headquarters at the southeast corner of Milwaukee Street and Wauwatosa Avenue was purchased and razed by the club. The organization intends to turn the land into an expanded parking lot, doubling its current 17 spaces.
The project got a 3-3 vote at the Plan Commission to change the zoning from residential to business. A public hearing will be held at the Nov. 5 Common Council meeting before it goes to the Community Development Committee. A final vote could occur at the Nov. 19 Common Council meeting.
Tammy Szudy, the city's principal planner in the Planning and Zoning Division, said because neighbors protested the project, a state statute kicks in that requires a three-fourths approval by the council.
Woman's Club President Susan McTavish said the organization purchased the property after being approached by the seller. The club needs parking, and it also will benefit area churches and schools.
"We have had a great relationship with our community," McTavish said, noting that the club has a parking reciprocation agreement with neighboring organizations.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?