Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
What is planned for the abandoned car dealerships on Burleigh and 112th streets?
Issue: A reader wants to know if the former home of two car dealerships on the south side of Burleigh Street near 112th Street will be redeveloped.
Noting that construction is happening immediately to the east (for the new Meijer Department Store), the reader called the abandoned property "an eyesore." He wrote: "I thought I once heard that Micro Center purchased it. Is that still in the works?"
Status: Micro Center, an Ohio-based electronics retailer with stores in 15 other states, still owns the property. Repeated calls to Mike Papai, the company's vice present of marketing, went unanswered. Papai told NOW in late 2011 that while Micro Center saw Wauwatosa as an attractive location, the store probably would not be built in the near future.
Alderman Jeffrey Roznowski, chairman of the Community Development Committee, agreed.
"My sense is that Micro Center is a fairly conservative business and goes about this in a slow and measured way," Roznowski said.
Roznowski said he is confident the property will be developed, either through an ongoing relationship between city planners and the company or with the city using its Community Development Authority.
He emphasized the economic recovery and the city's approach to business expansion, including the recently opened Mayfair Collection northeast of Burleigh Street and Highway 45.
"It is tremendously important when you are a landlocked community," Roznowski said. In conjunction with Mayfair Mall, this creates an expanded destination."
Submit your question by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?