How often are Wauwatosa streets swept?
Issue: A reader is wondering about the city's street cleaning schedule.
Status: Public Works Director Bill Porter said the city's street cleaning operation, which covers about 370 miles of curbs and medians, began this week and will continue into fall. It operates in seven cycles, with each taking about two to four weeks to complete.
"This week, we started with two shifts of cleaning to get everything left from winter," Porter said. "We want to get started as early as possible to get the city looking good. After this first cycle, we go back to a single shift."
With the first cleaning cycle deploying two shifts, the city can coordinate between main and side streets to minimize traffic obstruction. Otherwise, night-shift cleaning is the norm thanks to the city's ban on overnight street parking.
The start of the first cleaning shift is dictated by how long the winter lingers, Porter said. Ideally, gutters are free of ice and temperatures are above freezing.
"Last year, we were able to start in mid-March because it was so warm," he said. "This year, we had to wait a little longer."
Porter said the cleaning schedule also takes into account leaf cleanup due to tar spot or other issues that cause early leaf loss.
Wauwatosa NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
WauwatosaNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?