In an example of a Craigslist.com transaction gone wrong, a 53-year-old Hartford man reported that an unidentified man drove away with his 2004 Audi, valued at $8,000, during a test drive after the two met about 7 p.m. Jan. 30 in the parking lot of Target, 3900 N. 124th St.
According to the Wauwatosa police report:
The two agreed to meet at the lot because the potential buyer lived on Milwaukee's East Side.
The owner accompanied the man as he test drove the vehicle on several roads, including Capitol Drive, North Avenue and Highway 45.
Stopped on the Swan extension near Watertown Plank Road and Highway 45, the driver asked the owner to drive, saying he wanted to "listen" to the vehicle from the back seat while it was being driven.
When the owner got out of the passenger seat, the driver took off.
Police say a suspect has been identified and that charges related to multiple vehicle thefts and parts selling are pending.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23