Blood donors and blood drive organizers canceled many appointments yesterday, and the BloodCenter of Wisconsin now estimates there will be a shortfall of more than 1,000 units of blood over the next few days, the organization announced in a news release.
BloodCenter is asking that anyone who is able to safely keep a scheduled donation appointment do so. Appointments are available for Saturday, Sunday and Monday for those who want to help.
Call (877) 232-4376 or visit Bcw.edu/snow.
The Wauwatosa BloodCenter donation location, 8733 Watertown Plank Road, has extended its hours until 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 22, in hopes of meeting the need.
Because platelets are critically important, the Wauwatosa location also will be open by appointment only for platelet donors on Sunday, Dec. 23.
All blood types are needed, but there is a particular need for type O Negative blood, as well as platelets. O negative is the universal blood type that is used in emergency rooms and on Flight for Life. Platelets are critically important because they help cancer patients or trauma patients recovering from life-threatening injuries.
- Anodyne Coffee plans to open location in Wauwatosa Village (2)
- Wauwatosa Meetings: Aug. 4
- Video: Wauwatosa girl's curbside ice cream stand raises money for the hungry
- Wauwatosa News and Notes: Hands-only CPR training offered; Firefly Art Fair is Aug. 6-7
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- Wauwatosa gears up for National Night Out event, this year at the zoo
- Election 2016: Wisconsin's 4th District candidates weigh in
- Wauwatosa's Luther Manor residents share smiles through flower delivery
- Wauwatosa Police Report: July 17-23