Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
Is there a rumor you've heard that you would like to track down? Is there something in the city — like playground equipment or a pothole — that needs to be fixed? Rick Romano answers some of the mysteries of life in Wauwatosa and helps solve everyday problems.
Why are there barriers and fencing along the North Avenue bridges over the Menomonee River?
Issue: A reader asked that question about the stone bridges over the Menomonee River just east of Serafino Square. He guessed the chain link fencing and the concrete barriers are designed to protect pedestrians or bicyclists during repair and construction.
"However, I haven't seen any trace of workers or reconstruction occurring at all during these past two months," he wrote. "How to justify such inaction?"
Status:Our reader is correct. Marion Sodnik of the department of public works said the city installed the protective barriers after workers observed crumbling stone. The chain link fencing helps keep any fragments from falling on the sidewalks, and the barriers protect the wall from any vehicle collision.
City Engineer Bill Wehrley said the city plans to do maintenance work on the bridges. First, though, he said the city must secure permits from Milwaukee County and the Departent of Natural Resources because the work will involve the river and the land on each side.
He said there is no specific date set for the work but estimated it may take a couple of months.
Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is the work under way at North Avenue and Highway 45/41?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What are the legal requirements of a fire pit?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city act when a building needs a new paint job?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Yale Place was once known as Pickle Alley
- What's going on with the abandoned building at Menomonee River Parkway and Harmonee Avenue?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Is the school district paid for the cell tower at Whitman Middle School?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Who regulates lawn care companies?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why was a home on the parkway razed?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are left-turn signals different at different times?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: When will 92nd Street north of Capitol be repaved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Does the city enforce parking-in-driveway violations by commercial vehicles?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will the stone walls of Schoonmacher Creek be repaired?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What types of pavers will be used in the new village streetscaping project?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Will a sound barrier be built along the freeway near Center Street?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What was the strong odor in the Village on March 10?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are city trees being trimmed so dramatically?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why were the center stripes on the Menomonee Parkway moved?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Are anti-theft devices for cars worthwhile?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: Why are there speed bumps on the Menomonee River Parkway?
- Wauwatosa Ask Now: What is being done to the Hoyt Park pedestrian bridge?